These are everything you love about traditional chocolate chip muffins, in VEGAN form. These homemade muffins are moist, fluffy, and perfectly studded with choco-chips!
I don’t know if I’m the only one that feels this way, but commercial chocolate chip muffins just irk me. Am I the only one that finds them either, bland and flavourless, stale, too oily, too dry, etc? Yuck. For these reasons, it’s been a veeeery long time since I’ve been privy to chocolate chip muffins.
So I decided to change that. I figured I can’t be the only one that wants the chocolate muffin when I see it, but never ends up choosing it because of previous subpar muffin experiences. I put a lot of thought into my muffin choices, clearly. Ain’t got no time for sh*tty muffins, right? Solution: these right here:
Simple, chocolate chip muffins in vegan form, with less than 300 calories. Yay! These aren’t really a “healthy” or “skinny” muffin, but these are much lower in calories than the typical coffeeshop muffin. That’s another thing that irks me, the use of the word “skinny” to describe food/drinks. Skinny? What? Why? SKINNY? Low fat/sugar, sure. Low calorie, okay fine. But why do we unconsciously push people towards skinny by branding foods this way? AUGH. Don’t mind me guys, I’m just here patiently waiting for the world to adapt a healthful, balanced approach to food and eating. /Endrant.
Okay so back to these babes. These muffins are effortless, all you need is about 30 minutes and super simple ingredients that you’ve probably got on hand right now. Amazing homemade chocolate chip muffins are right at your fingertips!
So what are ya’ waiting for? It’s muffin time! (Yes, there is actually a song called It’s Muffin Time” on the wonderful land of YouTube). These are tender, moist and studded with chocolate chips throughout. They may not have the picturesque giant dome top of bakery style muffins, but they are hella delish and ridiculously easy. That’s about all I need a muffin.
Eat up, friends!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax + 6 tbs warm water)
- 1 cup dairy free milk + 1 tbs apple cider vinegar * see instruction step #4
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- More chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 °F
- Grease and/or line 12 cavity muffin tin
- For the flax eggs, combine ground flax and warm water, stirring to combine. Set aside to thicken
- Add 1 tbs apple cider vinegar to a measuring cup. Fill to 1 cup line with dairy free milk. Set aside until needed
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg) and stir
- Combine sugar, milk/vinegar mixture, flax eggs, melted vegan butter and vanilla extract in a medium bowl
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient mixture and stir until fully incorporated, taking care not to overmix
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Divide batter amongst 12 cavities of prepared muffin tin
- Press some chocolate chips onto the tops of the muffins (optional)
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375 °F and bake for another 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean and the edges are golden
- Allow to cool on wire rack
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!