Start the fall season off right with these incredibly easy pumpkin carrot muffins! These are vegan, free of gluten and deeelicious!
Hello, friends! And hello, September! I can’t believe you’ve arrived so soon. The kiddos are goin’ back to school, the leaves are starting to turn yellow, I need mittens some mornings and evenings.. yeah I seriously do, don’t judge me! Cold hand problems, I tell ya. Pretty sure I wouldn’t dislike colder weather so much if my HANDS didn’t freeze at temperatures below 15 °C. Sighhhhh. And before we know it, it’ll be Christmas! OMG. WHAT.
I must admit though, the most wonderful thing about the coming of Autumn is all the warm, flavourful, fall spices that make their way into everything. Less than a week into September and I am guilty of already making pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin spice tea, a pumpkin chocolate chip loaf (RECIPE SOOOON!), and these pumpkin carrot oat muffins! I am diligently including the p’kins in pretty much everything possible.
So, we’ll start the pumpkin season off with these delicious (and pretty healthy, I might add!) oat muffins. These are made exclusively with oat flour, filled with fresh carrot, require no oil, and contain all that pumpkin goodness ya love. They’re even topped with pumpkin seeds, cause we might as well make these pumpkin-y AF, am I right? Adding in that carrot is just, mmm. Pumpkin carrot anything is so so good. ORANGE POWAAAA! The vibrancy of orange produce is just so appealing to me. Who else agrees?
These would be the perfect addition to a school or work lunch, or my personal favourite, as an accompaniment to a homemade vegan pumpkin spice latte, anyone? Oh, yesss. YES. This pumpkin season is already shaping up to be a delicious one!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups oats (rolled or quick), ground
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup pure pumpkin, canned (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium sized carrots)
- 1 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: Pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- Using a food processor or blender, process oats until they are ground into flour
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and ground cloves) and whisk to combine
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients (pumpkin, carrots, dairy free milk, sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract) and stir together until thoroughly combined
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, and gently stir until incorporated
- Spoon the muffin batter into your prepped muffin tin, filling each well completely
- Top the muffins with pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-23 minutes or until the tops are firm and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove muffins and allow to finish cooling on a wire cooling rack
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
If you like this recipe, check out my similar recipe for Banana Oat Muffins!