Simple, easy, and oh so delicious. These moist banana oat muffins are oil free, gluten free AND vegan, and are ready in a flash!
This recipe gets me so excited. Banana’s are literally my faaavorite fruit. Ever. I absolutely love cherries too, but because of the whole seasonal availability thing, I have to put them at #2, right behind good old bananas.
I must’ve been a monkey in my last lifetime or something – I always have to have bananas on hand.
Now I know I’m not the only one that likes to eat bananas that are still a little green, but yellow, but not too yellow, you know what I’m sayin’? I know you’re out there. Holla!
I have tried so many things to keep my bananas in this optimal state of yellowy green. Through much trial and error, I’ve found that keeping them in one of those grocery store produce bags with no air exposure seems to work the best. Basically banana suffocation. Cruel, I know. But hey, when bananas are involved, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
When I miss the golden window of bananas in their prime of their life and those dreaded spots start appearing, it’s game over. Sorry ‘nanas. It’s either into the freezer or into some baking. But the latter is just so much more satisfying, don’t you agree!?
So, I have good news if you’ve got some bananas ready to be used up and you just happen to enjoy super easy muffins. Super easy muffins that are full of all the yum of banana bread, AND are gluten free and vegan. This recipe is just that.
A few super simple ingredients and about 25 minutes and wham-o, you got healthy muffins full of banana goodness. These gems sit at less than 100 calories a piece. 86 to be exact. Defs a perfect alternative to grabbing a muffin or slice of banana bread on the go, if ya ask me.
Need I say more?
… This sh-t, is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s …
I had to.
Sorry . Not sorry.
And remember, use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa on social media so I can peep all the yumminess!
- 1 cup oat flour*
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 depending on size)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbs of rolled oats for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- For the flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of flax meal and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Stir and set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
- In another bowl, mash bananas using a fork or masher. Combine with applesauce, brown sugar, flax egg, and vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until combined
- Grease or line a muffin pan. Fill wells about 3/4 full. Sprinkle tops of muffins with rolled oats
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean
* Make sure your oats are certified gluten free if you need to!