Meet your new favourite fall treat – this vegan chocolate chip pumpkin loaf! This is the perfect amount of sweet and spice to satisfy those fall sweet tooth cravings!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something with these links, you are helping support Sweet Like Cocoa at no additional cost to you!
Okay so before we get into this weeks recipe, I just want to preface this post by saying that this might just be my Fall 2017 GO TO treat. For realz guys, I am absolutely obsessed with this pumpkin loaf. Everything about it is just 👌🏼.
I will admit, when I initially planned on doing a recipe that combined pumpkin with chocolate, I wasn’t sure how I would like it/how it would turn out/what its state of eatability would be. I mean, I love pumpkin, I love chocolate, but having them together? Same damn time? I was hesitant. Mind you, this was much prior to me searching the combo on Pinterest and realizing this is, in fact, a much loved pairing.
And now I can see why! Hot damn. The pumpkin and all them pumpkin-esque spices work so well with a litto bit of chocolate. The loaf itself isn’t overly sweet, and the chocolate chips add just enough sweetness to balance out the spice. And, and, AND, it’s OIL FREE! I was equally as hesitant about trying to make this recipe sans oil as I was about attempting the flavour combo to begin with, as I mentioned earlier. I figured without any fat it would end up being dry and hard and just weird. I didn’t have any applesauce on hand to use as an oil replacement, and I wanted to leave bananas outta this one, so I just decided that more pumpkin was going to serve as the fat component.
I am pleased to report that it absolutely worked! The loaf ended up with a nice dense texture while still retaining enough moisture. I was pleasantly surprised that this all worked out so well! Don’t you love when that happens? 🙂 Like most loaf recipes, this pumpkin loaf is extremely simple to make. The hardest part is waiting about an hour for it to bake.. but it’s soooo worth it, believe me! It’s perfect warm and fresh out of the oven, and equally delicious as it cools and firms up in the days following.
This is definitely a must try for any pumpkin lover. I promise this will be a new addition to your rotation of fall recipes!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups pure pumpkin, canned (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown, but you can use a full cup of either)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup, increase to 1 cup if you prefer more chocolate!)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line with parchment paper (leave enough overhang for easy removal of the loaf)
- For the flax egg, combine ground flax and warm water in a small bowl. Stir and set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and all spice). Stir to combine
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients (pumpkin, sugar, dairy free milk, flax egg and vanilla extract), and stir until fully combined
- Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to wet ingredients, and gently mix them together
- Fold in chocolate chips using a rubber spatula
- Pour batter into prepped loaf pan
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean
- Place onto wire rack to cool
- Once cool, remove from loaf pan using the overhang of parchment paper and allow to fully cool before slicing
- Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 slices
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $9.96Was: $24.00
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $3.18Was: $3.84
Price: $6.11Was: $6.32