These easy muffins pack all the flavour of a traditional chocolate orange, in vegan form! At 200 calories a pop, you can definitely indulge a bit this holiday season!
Hello, friends! And welcome to December! Is anyone else still shocked that another Christmas season is already here? To me, this time of year is always just a blur of craziness combined with a constant sugar high from the ever flowing supply of chocolate that seems to keep magically replenishing itself. Then it’s suddenly January and a new year has emerged through the haze of sugar.
I never really have been a huge fan of the chocolate orange flavour combo, but it’s one that I am definitely not opposed to. And I certainly have been privy to a few Terry’s Chocolate Oranges around this time of year in my younger days. So when I was contemplating an orange flavoured muffin recipe, adding chocolate to it seemed to be something that had potential for deliciousness.
These muffins definitely lived up to those expectations! The balance of tangy orange and sweet chocolate is pretty much amazing, to put it simply. I am totally obsessed with these flavours now! What’s even better is that they are really really, reeaaaally easy to make.
So instead of eating an actual chocolate orange with sketchy milk ingredients and ridiculous amounts of added fat, you can get your chocolate orange fix without the guilt. And they’re only 200 calories each! That’s definitely a win during the Holidays. Lord knows there is already enough chocolate fuelled guilt in the month of December! 😂
In terms of choco-orange flavour, these are my go to. Although you can’t smash these like a Terry’s chocolate orange, they sure taste just as delicious!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup neutral vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tsp orange zest
- 1/2-3/4 cup dairy free cup chocolate chips
- Optional Topping:
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- To a small bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt) and stir to combine
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients except chocolate chips (milk, sugar, orange juice, apple sauce, oil, vanilla and zest) and whisk to combine
- Add dry ingredient mixture to wet and gently mix until just combined (lumps are okay)
- Gently stir in chocolate chips
- Divide batter evenly into prepped muffin tin
- For the optional topping, combine zest and sugar and stir until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle onto the tops of the muffins
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Allow to cool for several minutes in the muffin pan, then remove and allow to fully cool on a wire cooling rack
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!