Take your traditional banana bread up a notch with this amazing COCONUT banana bread! Coconut makes for such a great addition in this easy, moist, incredibly delicious vegan loaf!
Hello, ya beautiful people! I’ve been wanting to do a classic banana bread recipe for a little while now. I mean yeah, there are 100000 and 1 banana bread recipes out there, but I don’t think the world will mind if theres one more, right? And let’s be real here, is there really anything better than the scent of freshly baked banana bread? Oh my. Gosh. If there is one aroma that never gets old, it is definitely some good old ‘nana bread.
I am such a huge fan of banana bread. Season through season, time after time, it just always seems to work. You know what I mean? Summer? Great. Winter? Great. Breakfast? Great. Midnight snack?
Great. Perfect. Banana bread is a true friend, it’ll never let you down.
I put out a Vegan and GF Banana Cream Pie recipe a few weeks ago (SO GOOD), which I had thought about adding coconut to, but I eventually decided against it. I wanted to let the banana be the star of the show in that one. In this recipe, however, I wanted to shake sh*t up a bit, so I decided that coconut was gonna come along for the ride. I wanted to add something that would compliment the banana, all while adding some heartiness to the bite while still maintaining a moist, perfectly sweet loaf. Coconut was a pretty much a shoe in!
Man, is it ever good. I had imagined that this was gonna be delicious, but this, this is reeeeeal good. All by just adding a little coconut? Who woulda thought it’d be that simple. Hey, I’ll take it though. And believe me, there’s alllllll kinds of banana bread aromatics going on with this one.
If you have any interest in banana bread, coconut or any combination of the two, try this out! It’s pretty much incredible. And in traditional banana bread reliability, it’s perfect all day, any day, every day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (~1.5 cups)
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup white and 1/3 cup brown, but you can use all 2/3 cup white or brown)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax + 6 tbs warm water)
- 1/4 cup coconut water (pure coconut water, leftover from a can of coconut milk) OR sub coconut milk OR any other dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened, according to preference)
- More shredded coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease and/or line a 9" x 5" loaf pan
- For the flax eggs, combine ground flax and warm water in a small bowl, stir, and set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and stir to combine
- In a large bowl, mash bananas using a fork or masher
- Add melted coconut oil and sugar to bananas and stir together
- Add in flax eggs, coconut water (or dairy free milk) and vanilla extract and stir until combined
- Add dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients and mix together until fully incorporated
- Fold in shredded coconut
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. I covered my loaf in tinfoil at about 40 minutes to prevent the coconut on top from browning too much
- Allow loaf to fully cool before removing from pan and slicing. Once cool, cut into 8 slices
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!
For more yummy banana goodies, check out my super easy Banana Oat Muffins, that are vegan and gluten free! If you’re a fan of coconut, these Toasted Coconut Cashew Rice Krispie Squares or Coconut Carrot Cake Cookies might be for you!