These vegan cranberry flax muffins are simple AND satisfying! Packed with flax, oat bran and cranberries these make for a delicious anytime snack!
Okay you guys. This might just be my favourite muffin recipe on the blog to date! Which I think is absolutely crazy pants, since there’s no chocolate in this, and ALL my favourites have chocolate in them/on them/are composed pretty much entirely of chocolate.
Favourite? And there’s no chocolate? What’s that all about?! Maybe it’s just because I’m insanely hungry as I write this, or maybe this is another one of those changes I attribute to age, which I mentioned in my post for my Vegan Midnight Mint Mocha Brownie recipe. After all, I am right on the heel of my 26th birthday. Speaking of that, stay tuned for a post detailing the making of my birthday cake coming up on the blog in a few days! Yes, I am making my own cake for my own birthday. Don’t judge me.
Okay so back to this recipe. I’ve always been a sucker for a good bran muffin. They’re just so hearty and filling, with the slightest touch of sweet. Now that I think about it, maybe that’s why these are my favourite muffins. *Phewf* perhaps my love for these is not age related! At (almost) 26, I’m still basically a baby, and I am most definitely not mentally prepared to deal with “aging”. Which is why I plan on staying in the realm of babyhood for as loooong as humanly possible 😅.
Instead of using wheat bran, as traditional bran muffins do, I opted for oat bran in these! Cause anything oat related pretty much = good sh*t, right? That, a whole lotta flax, and some whole wheat flour make these muffins a little more ‘health conscious’. Applesauce does it’s thang and makes the muffins super moist, and little pops of dried cranberry add a wonderfully sweet and fruity component to their heartiness. The flax and oat bran add a nice dose of fibre, and at about 150 calories each, there’s not a damn thing to be guilty about!
Try these out my friends, they might just become one of your favourites, too!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbs vegetable oil or melted coconut oil (I used grapeseed oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (both flours, oat bran, flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt), stirring to combine
- In a medium bowl combine dairy free milk, brown sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla and whisk together
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and gently mix until incorporated
- Fold in dried cranberries
- Divide batter into prepped muffin tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean
- Allow to cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!