These baked Vegan Orange Cranberry Donuts are the perfect addition to your holiday dessert menu! These donuts are super simple to make and are loaded with fresh cranberries and tonnes of yummy orange goodness!
I must admit, one of my favourite parts of the holiday season is alllllllll the holiday baking that takes place. Amidst all the Christmas cookies, cakes, pies, chocolates (of course), etc, etc, I personally think we need to add some donuts into the mix. And with the plethora of fresh cranberries available right now, lets do something a little more unique than the typical cranberry sauce, shall we?
I for one, think Christmas donuts should be common practice. Why do cookies and everything else get the bulk of holiday baking attention? No, no. Santa is getting donuts this year. I think it’s time the old man went plant based anyways, right? I mean come on Mr. Claus, get with the times – it’s about time you upgrade to a glass of almond milk and some vegan cookies, mmmkay.
Okay back to the recipe. Baked donuts are so easy to make, I can’t even express how much I love them from a convenience stand point. And a taste standpoint too, obviously! A little orange juice, orange zest and fresh cranberries take these from regular old donuts to holiday ready in no time. And trust me, when you show up to the party with a bunch of fresh, delicious and healthier donuts in hand, you are going to officially be everyones new favourite person! The balance of tart from the cranberries and the sweet orange glaze is just too damn good to resist!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 6 tbs cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 4 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- Orange Glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1.5 tbs orange juice
- Orange zest for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbs ground flax with 3 tbs warm water. Set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, orange juice, melted coconut oil, flax egg, orange zest and vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until combined
- Gently fold in cranberries
- Pour batter into a piping bag or ziplock bag with a corner cut off, and pipe into a greased donut pan
- Don’t over fill the wells, pipe around one circle in each well
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the donuts comes out clean and the donuts spring back when touched - 15 minutes was perfect for me
- Allow donuts to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove and continue to cool on a cooling rack
- Combine all ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and stir until fully combined. You may need to add a bit more milk if too thick, or some more icing sugar if too thin
- Dip cooled donuts into the glaze
- Sprinkle some more orange zest onto the tops of the donuts (optional)
- Allow glaze to set before stacking donuts on top of each other or transporting
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!