Enjoy a little blast of the tropics with these EASY vegan pineapple cupcakes, topped with fluffy coconut whip cream!
Waaassup, friends! Today I’ve got an island inspired dessert on the menu for ya. These pineapple infused cupcakes will bring those island feels to you, even if you’re like me and are currently island-less. I am lucky enough to be in the beautiful city of Kelowna, BC at the moment, though! So while I may not have an island, at least I got the Okanagan Lake. Personally, I haven’t had a tropical vacation in a few years. SO, if I can’t go to an island this summer, I’m gonna bring the island to me – and you of course! It’s okay though, as much as I’d love to be sipping coconut water out of a big ass coconut on some tropical beach, I’d say cupcakes are a pretty good alternative! Cupcakes are always a good alternative.
Let’s get started, shall we?
These cupcakes are packed full of crushed pineapple, contain no oil (just like my Vegan Chocolate Oreo Cake), and are topped with good old coconut whip cream. Is that not amazing? They’re light, moist AF, and super refreshing – basically a perfect summer dessert. Plus, what’s not to love about pineapple and all it’s badass health benefits?
Pineapple, you da bomb.
This recipe is so extremely simple – 1 bowl for the cupcakes, 1 bowl for the whip cream and almost no time at all. Simple ingredients, too. This is one of those desserts that you can easily whip up on the fly that will please everyone! They’re got that stickiness of pineapple upside down cake, in convenient grab and go form. The combo of pineapple infused cake and coconut whip cream make these gems the real island deal. They’re almost like an alcohol free, edible piña colada!
Sweet. Fruity. Tropical. Mmm. Next time you’re daydreaming about an island getaway, these will make you feel like you’re almost there! Enjoy, friends!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 10 oz crushed pineapple (not drained) - I buy the 14 oz can of Dole crushed pineapple and use about 10 oz in the cupcakes, and reserve the rest for other goodies!
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat premium coconut milk, chilled (I use Thai Kitchen)
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda and salt)
- Add all wet ingredients to the dry ingredient mixture (pineapple, applesauce and vanilla extract)
- Stir gently to combine
- Divide batter amongst your prepared muffin tin
- Bake in preheated oven for 14-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean and the tops are lightly golden
- Allow to cool in pan for a couple minutes, then remove from pan and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare your coconut whip cream
- Remove the hard coconut cream portion from your chilled can of coconut milk into a large bowl
- Reserve the remaining coconut water for use in other deliciousness (like smoothies)
- Using a stand or electric mixer, mix the coconut cream until it is light and fluffy (a couple minutes)
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to whip for a few more minutes
- Place into the fridge until you're ready to use
- Pipe or spread chilled whip cream over completely cooled cupcakes
- Optional: Top with pineapple chunks
- Serve immediately
Best enjoyed fresh! Leftovers should be refrigerated and consumed within a couple days.
If you make this recipe, snap a pic and use the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!