These quick and easy Vegan Pumpkin Spice Donuts topped with maple glaze and cinnamon sugar are the absolute perfect Fall treat for all donut lovers!
My deep seeded love for donuts strikes again. I sometimes gawk at the fact vegan donuts are basically impossible to find in Calgary, but then I remember that making your own are so much more satisfying, healthy, and delicious. And since it’s the season of pumpkin everything, a pumpkin spice donut recipe was inevitable.
This recipe got me thinking, though. It was one of those critical thinking moments when you ponder things that are extraordinarily important in the universe and all its vastness.
Things like: “Why TF are donuts called donuts?..” 🤔
I have no definitive answer. And apparently neither does Google, only theories. So that was the end of that thought. Instead of contemplating why donuts are donuts, I will just stick to eating them, thank you very much.
And eat them I did! But before I ate them, I decided to do more donut research because, well, I just needed to find out what the shape of a donut was called. My abandonment of donut research was short lived apparently.
If anyone is interested, a donut shape does indeed exist, and it’s called a torus. Yup. Droppin’ facts today. That was the last of my research, then all that was left to be done was to eat them!
Another fact for ya is that these are delicious. The donut itself is nice and light and fluffy, and the tinge of maple in the glaze with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon sugar make them taste like Fall and all it’s spicy sweetness. Mhm, pumpkin spice wins again.
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts:
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs warm water)
- 4 tsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease donut pan and set
- For the flax egg, combine flax and warm water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken
- In a medium bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg) and stir to combine
- In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients (dairy free milk, brown sugar, pumpkin, flax egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract) and whisk together
- Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to the wet, and gently stir until just combined
- Add donut batter to a piping bag or ziploc bag with the corner snipped off (or you can spoon batter into the pan)
- Pipe around each cavity of the donut pan once. The cavities should be about 3/4 full, yielding 6-7 donuts
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the donuts comes out clean
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then flip them out onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely
If you make this recipe, snap a pic using the hashtag #sweetlikecocoa and tag me @sweetlikecocoablog on Instagram, I love seeing the deliciousness you guys come up with!